Previous Entry Share Next Entry

Sad Hound Journal

Hound is fine, and before anyone starts in on why we threw it away, this was a weird chocolate we reviewed for the KUEC podcast, and it had a really bizarre waxy texture that no one liked, which is how half of it ended up in the trash. Generally chocolate is safely disposed of, but she somehow managed to snatch this one. (I was sitting there trying to do math...if a symptomatic dose is 1.2 oz of baker's chocolate, but this is only 70% of the cocoa content, how much would she have had to eat of a 2.6 oz bar to have symptoms? Eventually decided that my F in middle-school algebra meant that it would be a good idea to take her in to the vet. Naturally, this always happens at 10 at night, which is why I am now some $250 poorer.)

Poor, sad hound! I'd probably have tried the ASPCA Pet Poison Control first ($65 a call) since my emergency vet generally refers people to them first anyway in cases involving toxic substances (ask me how I know; of course, it's nearly always late at night or on weekends).

Seconding the Pet Poison Control - very helpful when my two puppies-at-the-time ate a whole giant bottle of multivitamins. Based on bottle info they said probably not enough to do harm since bottle was not full, but gave instructions on inducing vomiting just to be safe, and soon I had two barfing puppies who were, like New Hound, sad for a bit and then back to their usual mayhem, none the worse for wear.

it is ALWAYS better to vet and play it safe. new hound is sadder but wiser.

i'm glad she's ok.

You should add it as a note for other things that the patreon money for KUEC may go towards. I expected that my contribution was helping defray medical cost for you or Kevin, but I'm happy to have helped make sure that the hound is OK after eating food from the show.

I am glad New Hound is better, hopefully her expenses haven't reached Gir's.

Also, I love Garden Hen-Bob's shield. Please tell me you got to use one too while Mur-wrangling.

There is nothing quite so sad as a Tragic Hound. Glad she's OK.

But, um, Hound is $250 better than before? Try to think of it that way...

I was at the vet when someone came in with two dogs. It takes a LOT of chocolate to do damage. Unfortunately, the owner had ordered (and received) a bust of his wife in chocolate. The dogs decided to inspect the quality closely and did quite a bit more than nibbling on her ears. Anyway, it had a happy ending there, too, despite the large quantity due to the owner's quick thinking to bring them in.

Anyway, my local vet clinic published the math in a table that made it easier to answer that question (my transcription of the PDF here). Thought you might like to have that handy.

what is that chicken up to?

Looks like it's sewn itself a Captain America costume.

Emergency CVT here.
>Generally chocolate is safely disposed of, but she somehow managed to snatch this one<

Don't worry and you don't have to explain yourself. This happens all the time, to everybody. It was an accident and accidents happen.

>Eventually decided that my F in middle-school algebra meant that it would be a good idea to take her in to the vet<

If you have a smart phone, head to the app store and look for either the ASPCA poison control app or the Pet Poison Helpline Puptox app. Both are very informative and have searchable lists of toxic substances and plants as well as direct lines to poison control (ASPCA puts you in touch with veterinary toxicologists, PPH puts you in touch with a CVT trained to deal with these emergencies). PPH also has a chocolate toxicity calculator to help you find out if a dose is lethal and what to expect. To use it, you input your dog's weight, the type of chocolate and how much was ingested. And as always, you can call an e-clinic to ask for help. Its really helpful if you can recover the wrapper or product information.

However, the gourmet chocolate and cacao bars can get a little tricky since they can use different "parts" of the chocolate making process which changes the toxicity. Things like chocolate nibs or liquors. So even we have to call some of these things in because with the number and diversity of products available, its really hard to keep track of what's toxic and what's not as toxic.

Story time!
Last winter, I stayed over at our e-clinic during a snow storm and travel ban to care for our hospitalized patients. We also got a lot of calls from people having emergencies at home and were trying to field them as best we could. One family called me during the evening because they decided to make dark chocolate truffles with their kids and their lab stole two of them. I had them read me the recipe and give me all the chocolate products they used (dutch processed cocoa and melting chocolate, etc). I had to use the weights and our chocolate calculators to determine if it was lethal by the dog's body weight. My vet checked my math and we found that two wasn't lethal but he would have some GI upset. We then had to look up how to induce vomiting at home because for years, it wasn't recommended (ASPCA recently changed this again to case by case). The family was so happy that it wasn't a lethal dose and the kids were excited that they were going to make their poor pet throw up with magical hydrogen peroxide.

I actually used salt once. Granted I was still in high school, going on what I knew and we didn't have peroxide in the house. Couple table spoons down a 90 pound Irish setter's throat (the knucklehead found a tray of mouse bait my parents had forgotten to pick up). Didn't take long and up it came. 'Course he guzzled water afterward, but I understand that completely.

Followed by a vet visit and a course of Vitamin K just in case. I haven't ever used salt again, but I gotta admit, it was almost as beautifully effective as peroxide.

I'm glad the dog is ok!

After our dog ate a jade plant and I pulled out my handy tube of activated charcoal (and made a mess of both of us) I learned that I could have used a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to make her vomit.

As an aside, Wolfram Alpha is also useful in computing toxic doses, and less specific than dogs and chocolate.

Here's how to save $250. When in doubt: just induce vomiting.

Get an ordinary bottle of peroxide from the drugstore, and some ordinary milk, and make the dog a peroxide milkshake. Give this to them outside (this part is important) because the vomiting happens pretty quickly afterwards. You need to supervise this process, because if the dog has eaten chocolate, what they're going to throw up is a chocolate milkshake, which (being dogs) they will just eat again if'n you don't scoop it up and throw it away.

Let the dog stay outside until you're sure the puking is over (this part is also important) and then post to the internets about how your dog just puked a chocolate milkshake and THIS IS THE BEST-SMELLING DOG VOMIT EVER.

What sort of ratios of milk and peroxide does one use for this? A tablespoon in a cup, or something more like 1-to-1?

Condolences and empathy. One time our hound ate 1/3 of a pan of brownies. -_-;;; He was fine, just extremely fat and pleased with himself.

(Deleted comment)

Log in

No account? Create an account